Saturday, May 22, 2010

We found an old journal that had some writings of missionaries coming and going from the mission and thoughts from other events. We thought it would be interesting to post them minus the name of the writer.

1. "Mexican Fiesta for the Donetsk Department of Religion.
It was a silly, sunny, chilly (sunny + chilly = silly) day and the refried beans were frying ... again. What kind are they anyway? Well, they cost 7 griven. And the fried rice was a bit sticky, but that's okay. Just for the record though you should know that last night at a small apartment in a very small kitchen on the outskirts of the city two Ukrainians and two Americans spent a good two to three hours chopping like mad. We are the foremost high volume salsa producers to be found. And then we need to give Sister Thatcher and Sister Nelson a big round of applause for making the tortillas. In general, this is an admirable food effort since yesterday a whole lot of Zone Leaders from all over the mission ate a bunch of something else that Sister McQueen also labored diligently to prepare. I might here add a quote from Sister Thatcher: 'After watching Sister McQueen for the last couple of days I've decided that I would rather serve on five missions that be a mission president's wife.' So now we are all waiting for these important folks to show up so we can impress them. "

2."Well, I'm not quite sure what to write so I will simply write my testimony. I know that God lives and that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. I know the Book of Mormon is true. Joseph Smith is a prophet. I am and will always be grateful to the Lord for the opportunity to serve in the Ukraine Donetsk Mission. Thank you President and Sister McQueen for your kindness and service. I know that your calling is inspired. I love the gospel and I love Ukraine."

3. "I just wanted to write that I loved my mission! Thanks for helping in making my mission a success for me!"

4. "Just like the rest I don't know what to write. I do know that this work is true. I know that the Lord loves everyone of us. Thanks for all you do for the missionaries. I love my mission! Thanks for being a part of it. I got nothing but love from all of you!"

5. "Today I ate really well and was warm!"

6. "Thanks for the marvelous food and comfort."

7. "Breakfast of Champions
This was to celebrate the end of a successful mission tour. One of the best weeks I have ever lived through. Sister McQueen once again bringing the magic that she creates in the kitchen. We love you more than you could ever know and are thankful for all you two do for all of us."

8. "I dont' know what to write but I'd like to say that I felt your intensity when you just got here. Keep that going, it's great. I had a great time serving here as a missionary. I hope you enjoy your service here as mission president and mission president's wife."

9. "I never thought the end would come so quickly! My mission has changed my life. I am very grateful for all that it has brought into my life. It was an amazing experience! I'd also like to thank you for being good role models for me. Keep it up."

10. "I love being a missionary! I loved serving here in Ukraine and with each and every elder I served with. Thank you so much for all the help you have given me. It's amazing how time works. I'm beginning to believe it doesn't even exist. I love my Savior Jesus Christ. I know the atonement changes lives. I love you both so very much."

11. "There just are no words to describe what a mission does for you, or should I say what a mission is. I'm so thankful that I made the decision to come on a mission. I love Ukraine! I never thought that time would go so fast. I know that this is the work of the Lord. There's nothing like serving a mission, at least nothing I've done up to this point. Thanks for everything."

12. "This country is on fire and I will be eternally grateful that the Lord has called me to this work and has opened my eyes with His spirit. His plan is perfect and I know all these callings and experiences that have come are commandments to grow, learn, teach and be humble. Besides if this work wasn't true we wold have destroyed it long ago. Your leadership is guided by our Savior Jesus Christ. Keep it going and bring eternal blessings to our brethren the Ukrainians. 'Through the atonement of Jesus Christ we can learn from our mistakes without being condemned by them - Marvin Ashton'"

No comments: